Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Jimi Jamison: 1951 - 2014


by Larry Simons
September 3, 2014

One of my favorite vocalists, Jimi Jamison, has passed away from a heart attack this past Sunday at the age of 63. Jamison was the lead singer of Survivor from 1984 to the present. He had taken over vocals from Dave Bickler, who, two years prior, sang vocals on the band's biggest hit, "Eye of the Tiger". Before joining Survivor, Jamison was the frontman for the bands Target and Cobra in the 1970's and 1980's.

Jamison, however, scored more hits for the band, such as "I Can't Hold Back", "High On You", "The Search Is Over", "Burning Heart" and "Is This Love".

Jamison also recorded six solo albums between 1991 and 2012 including "Empires", "Crossroads Moment", "Kimball/Jamison" (with Bobby Kimball of Toto) and "Never Too Late". Jamison is also notable for co-writing and singing the theme song for the popular show Baywatch, "I'm Always Here".

Survivor lead guitarist and longtime friend of Jamison, Frankie Sullivan, posted this on his facebook page:

"There is no way to explain the loss of my brother “Jamo.” Over the years we developed a deep friendship. My heart is heavy with sadness as I struggle to express the pain, suffering and deep loss. 

Though I rest assured that Jim is in the best of places, it still provides little comfort for those of us left behind. His voice was magic and he had a loving heart. I called him “Golden Throat” and for good reason. Jim Jamison had a voice we will never forget. It was massive and huge and yet sweet and gentle. He was a loving soul and a brother to me in many ways. I will miss him greatly".

Outside of the hit songs with Jamison on lead, are my personal favorites from Jamison. Below is my list of Jamison's best songs, with Survivor and solo.

With Survivor:

"First Night"
"Everlasting"
"I See You In Everyone"
"Popular Girl"
"Broken Promises"
"The Moment of Truth"
"How Much Love"
"Keep It Right Here"
"Rebels Son"
"Oceans"
"When Seconds Count"
"In Good Faith"
"Man Against the World"
"Desperate Dreams"
"Across the Miles"
"One More Chance"
"Seconds Away"
"Don't Give Up"


Solo:

"Behind the Music"
"Crossroads Moment"
"That's Why I Sing"
"Lost"
"'Til the Morning Comes"
"As Is"
"Can't Wait for Love"  (with Bobby Kimball)
"Empires"
"The Great Unknown"
"Everybody's Got A Broken Heart"
"Walk On (Wildest Dreams)"
"Street Survivor"
"Never Too Late"
"Calling the Game"

Here are a few videos featuring Jimi on vocals

"I Can't Hold Back" (1984)


"High On You" (1985)


"The Search Is Over" (1985)


"Across the Miles" (1988)


"Never Too Late" (2012)

1 comment:

ivette martinez said...

Jimi you no longer have more. It was a pleasure to meet you and enjoy your music throughout my life. I love you forever rest in peace Jimi Jamison.