Friday, March 14, 2008

Olbermann gets “O’ Reilly-itis” and fails to condemn Pat Buchanon for defending Ferraro

Olbermann rips Geraldine Ferraro for racist comments about Barack Obama, but when fellow MSNBC analyst Buchanon defends her, Olbermann is silent

by Larry Simons
March 14, 2008

On Tuesday’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann, Keith did a small 2 minute segment on Geraldine Ferraro’s comments about Barack Obama with Air America’s Rachel Maddow. The following night he did a 10-minute special comment on why the Clinton campaign is suffering because of her decision to have people like Ferraro on her team.

Here is the special comment:



First, lets make it clear what Ferraro said about Barack Obama:

“If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position […] and if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.”

Let me be very clear on one thing. Who cares? This is a non-issue that deserves as much air time as any story FOX News covers. I can see the racism in Ferraro’s comments yes, but it can hardly be compared to anything Bill O’Reilly has ever said about issues involving race. This is a distraction from other important issues. Gas is near $4 a gallon. This war is costing America $12 billion a month and the dollar has absolutely no value, and this is what the media talks about…..unimportant shit.

However, this is not about the comment. It’s about the hypocrisy of Keith Olbermann.

On Wednesday’s Live with Dan Abrams on MSNBC, Political analyst Pat Buchanon was joined by Air America’s Rachel Maddow and Democratic strategist Keli Goff. During the discussion of Geraldine Ferraro’s comments, Buchanon got so upset that he told Keli Goff to shut up. This was the dialogue:

Buchanan: "In Iowa and New Hampshire, there aren’t that many black folks. He skipped Michigan, the first big contest besides South Carolina –

Goff: “Because he’s black?”

Buchanan: "HOLD IT!” [cross talk] Shut up for a second, please!”

Goff: "Excuse me, don’t talk to me like that, Pat. That’s inappropriate. [snip]

Maddow: "First of all I would just say, as a matter of procedure here, Pat, I’ve been on television with you a million times and I’ve never heard you tell anybody to shut up before. That was absolutely, completely ridiculous of you. Second of all, tell me about how the black vote explains Obama’s win in Utah.”


Watch the clip:



This show aired right after Keith Olbermann’s show (where he did the special comment). Since I don’t expect Olbermann to be psychic and make a comment about a show that airs after his show, I waited until the next night to see if he would condemn Pat Buchanon for agreeing with Geraldine Ferraro’s comments.

Not a word.

Hell, I wasn’t even anticipating an entire segment on it. A “worst person” award would have been enough, but no, Buchanon wasn’t mentioned in that segment either.

It didn’t take me long to figure out that the reason Olbermann didn’t condemn Pat Buchanon was probably because Buchanon is a political analyst for MSNBC! Hmmmm, could that be it? I’m putting my money on that.

Here is Buchanon defending Ferraro on Harball with Chris Matthews as well:



I hate to say it Keith, because I think you’re one of the best on TV news, but you’re briefly suffering from O’Reilly-itis. I’m not saying a thing like this surprises me. I make it no secret in my stories that although there are some media journalists out there who tell the truth ranging from “barely to most of the time” (very few “most of the time”), there is no one who tells it ALL of the time. In the end, every journalist on TV is a corporate bought-and-paid-for shill who does and says nothing without someone above them pulling the strings.

Olbermann is no exception.

No comments: