Thursday, February 28, 2008

Government Concedes Vaccine-Autism Case in Federal Court - Now What?


(Added) The conspiracy "nuts" have been warning about vaccines for years. Now, with a government concession, are we (the "nuts") all of a sudden not loony anymore?

by David Kirby
HuffingtonPost.com
February 25, 2008

After years of insisting there is no evidence to link vaccines with the onset of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), the US government has quietly conceded a vaccine-autism case in the Court of Federal Claims.

The unprecedented concession was filed on November 9, and sealed to protect the plaintiff's identify. It was obtained through individuals unrelated to the case.

The claim, one of 4,900 autism cases currently pending in Federal "Vaccine Court," was conceded by US Assistant Attorney General Peter Keisler and other Justice Department officials, on behalf of the Department of Health and Human Services, the "defendant" in all Vaccine Court cases.

The child's claim against the government -- that mercury-containing vaccines were the cause of her autism -- was supposed to be one of three "test cases" for the thimerosal-autism theory currently under consideration by a three-member panel of Special Masters, the presiding justices in Federal Claims Court.

Keisler wrote that medical personnel at the HHS Division of Vaccine Injury Compensation (DVIC) had reviewed the case and "concluded that compensation is appropriate."

The doctors conceded that the child was healthy and developing normally until her 18-month well-baby visit, when she received vaccinations against nine different diseases all at once (two contained thimerosal).

Days later, the girl began spiraling downward into a cascade of illnesses and setbacks that, within months, presented as symptoms of autism, including: No response to verbal direction; loss of language skills; no eye contact; loss of "relatedness;" insomnia; incessant screaming; arching; and "watching the florescent lights repeatedly during examination."

Seven months after vaccination, the patient was diagnosed by Dr. Andrew Zimmerman, a leading neurologist at the Kennedy Krieger Children's Hospital Neurology Clinic, with "regressive encephalopathy (brain disease) with features consistent with autistic spectrum disorder, following normal development." The girl also met the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) official criteria for autism.

In its written concession, the government said the child had a pre-existing mitochondrial disorder that was "aggravated" by her shots, and which ultimately resulted in an ASD diagnosis.

"The vaccinations received on July 19, 2000, significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder," the concession says, "which predisposed her to deficits in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive encephalopathy with features of ASD."

This statement is good news for the girl and her family, who will now be compensated for the lifetime of care she will require. But its implications for the larger vaccine-autism debate, and for public health policy in general, are not as certain.

In fact, the government's concession seems to raise more questions than it answers.

1) Is there a connection between vaccines, mitochondrial disorders and a diagnosis of autism, at least in some cases?
Mitochondria, you may recall from biology class, are the little powerhouses within cells that convert food into electrical energy, partly through a complex process called "oxidative phosphorylation." If this process is impaired, mitochondrial disorder will ensue.

The child in this case had several markers for Mt disease, which was confirmed by muscle biopsy. Mt disease is often marked by lethargy, poor muscle tone, poor food digestion and bowel problems, something found in many children diagnosed with autism.

But mitochondrial disorders are rare in the general population, affecting some 2-per-10,000 people (or just 0.2%). So with 4,900 cases filed in Vaccine Court, this case should be the one and only, extremely rare instance of Mt disease in all the autism proceedings.

But it is not.

Mitochondrial disorders are now thought to be the most common disease associated with ASD.

Some journal articles and other analyses have estimated that 10% to 20% of all autism cases may involve mitochondrial disorders, which would make them one thousand times more common among people with ASD than the general population.

Read the rest of the story here

Related stories here

Film "Vaccination: The Hidden Truth" by Bronwyn Hancock here (must see)

11 comments:

David H. Willis said...

I like the new look of the blog.

Real Truth Online said...

thanks alot Dave. your DVD's will be coming within a few days. Im sending you about 5 of them. You really need to start buying some of David Ray Griffin's books. I have 3 of them: The New Pearl Harbor, 9/11 Commission-Omissions and Distortions and Debunking 9/11 Debunking. He's a professor of philosophy of religion and theology at Claremont school of Theology in California. His email address is davraygrif@cox.net---he really answers his email. Ask him anything about 9-11----he's excellent.

Anonymous said...

great post. dont you have dvds on vaccines.

Real Truth Online said...

Unfortunately, I only have 1 DVD on vaccines, called "Vaccinations: are they worth the risk?"

Anonymous said...

Guess who's back, back again? Jas is back. Tell a friend.

Damn, I thought you'd have exposed the real truth while I was gone Larry. I can't believe with all your "truth" and "facts" you haven't been able to get the word out yet. And poor Ron Paul, I'd have voted for him but when you said he doesn't want the votes of people who don't believe there were no planes on 9/11 I had to pass. Awww shucks... at least you can continue being crazy, angry and spewing lies for the next four years huh?

BTW, love the guy who supports McCain. He has a point... you hate this country so much you should leave. Seriously.

Real Truth Online said...

Jas, Jas, Jas----thats just it...you never "left". You always monitor my site on a regular basis---posting under different monikers. This is evidenced by in the past when you claim to have "left" for a long time, and then I wait a few months and take comment moderation off, and the very NEXT DAY you're BACK posting that mile long post you have saved on your computer. And you call ME crazy---lol. You save the posts and monitor my site---all signs of a true stalker. The funny part is, you call me un-American, yet you keep coming to my site. What is the word you have for people who claim to love America, but continue to frequent anti-American websites? I dont know if there's an official word for it, but I'll make up one.....a "Jaz-zer"...lol.

Your insults do not bother me jas----they actually make me very happy that a person like you (an American-hating Neo-con whose head is so far up his ass that I can't tell if you're farting or belching) disagrees with me.

And when I say you hate America, Im not saying it as a thoughtless attack (like you do)---i say it because you actually do. Anyone who would insult Ron Paul (who is the closest thing we've had to a founding father in 200 years), or anyone who would support a candidate who wants to continue this pointless war that is BANKRUPTING our country and putting us in the greatest recession since 1929 HAS to hate America.

And by the way, Ron Paul has publically stated that he does NOT believe 9-11 was an inside job----but he does believe in false flag terrorism. You have not refuted ONE thing Ive said---ever---and you never will. He'll, you say I lie, but can you even list ONE? Thats my question to you Jas----name ONE lie I've posted on here-----just ONE. Able to do that?

I'm waiting

not me said...

hey jiz eerrrr jas get over your self. if you like mccain so much ill drive you to the recruiters office tomorrow. no, didnt think so. all mouth no action. yada yada yada.i mean since you love this country so much. what no dd214, you didnt serve you schmuck..well you can atleast say thank you to the tax payers for helping your lazy non serving ass....give realtruth some debate while he kills you.........look jas planes coming in to hit your house, they hit you where it hurts,right in the welfare check...cant wait to see you in the service.....

Anonymous said...

Sorry Larry, have the tan to prove it. Wanna see a picture or... oh wait that's right you threatened to kill me, nevermind. LOL, and you call me a stalker.

I'm here to expose you Larry for all your lies regarding 9/11... other than that I agree with most of your site. But unfortunately you won't post dissent and delete people who disagree and expose your lies. You still have never once posted one serious "proof" regarding 9/11. Plenty of speculation and spin but no facts or proof. You are Bill O'Reilly's butt boy when it comes to bullshit, spin, lies, and censorship.

You still have never once posted one serious "proof" regarding 9/11.

Real Truth Online said...

I'll just assume that "anonymous" is Jas since you're too lazy to type in 3 letters. Saying "I'd kill myself if I was you" is threatening to kill you? LOL. I meant that literally---as in "I'd kill myself if I really was YOU"---it was never meant as an instruction. Once again, you say Im lying about 9-11 yet fail to produce ONE tidbit of information on any "alleged" lies. Still waiting on a refutation. I was right in my last post when I said you will never EVER refute me...because I asked you to name ONE lie Ive posted, and you cant even do that. When I accuse people of lying, I prove it on my site by showing footage and posting actual dialogue of their words. You have not listed ONE supposed "lie" of mine. If I lie all the time, surely you can name just ONE (out of MANY) right? Still waiting....

Oh and just wondering why you STILL frequent my "anti-American" site Mr. America lover?? Got an answer for that too? I know I just asked TWO questions-----ooooooo----and I realize how tough answering TWO questions is when you cant even answer one---but try real hard, k?

Anonymous said...

1) The burden of proof is on you.

2) To expose you as the Bill O'Reilly of 9/11-land.

Real Truth Online said...

No, actually you're wrong. The government claims their version is 100% correct and without flaw. We dont claim that because we dont have to be 100% correct for the official story to have holes in it. We only have to prove that the official story is flawed, NOT that our story is 100% correct. If we are right on just one or two things, the official story is wrong. If the official story is wrong on just ONE thing, the official story is wrong.

It's like in court cases. If I was defending my client who is accused of murder, I do not have to prove who really committed the murder--- only have to prove it wasnt my client. Same thing here. Just like the Bible. If I was trying to prove the Bible wasnt true, I would only have to prove where it is flawed, I would not have to prove who really created the universe.

If the government's version is without flaw and 100% correct, it should be able to stand up against ANY scrutiny----but as we can see, it clearly doesnt. There are hundreds of unanswered questions including my recent post (that you have ignored by the way...hmmmm), and clear bold-faced cover-ups in the 9-11 commission investigation which i would GLADLY tell you about, but like everything I post on my site, you address with insults, ad hominem attacks and childish namecalling.

So, you're wrong on the burden of proof issue. To say the burden on proof is on ME-----it's like you're saying in the murder case example I gave that I would have to prove who really committed the murder---which of course, as a lawyer in a case like that, I wouldn't---I would only have to prove it wasn't my client.

So, you see, the burden of proof is actually on YOU----because you must defend your side to be 100% correct and without flaw and able to stand up against ALL scrutiny. If it fails just ONCE, your story is a fraud. My side doesnt have to be without flaw---it only has to make YOUR story untrue------which it does OVERWHELMINGLY. This is the main reason you keep dodging and deflecting everything I say about it.

Its also the main reason why you have completely ignored TWICE now me asking you to name ONE lie I've told. If I lie ALL the time, then SURLEY you can think of just ONE lie I've told, right? Yet you keep ignoring me----and not to mention you keep visiting my "anti-American" website----a bizarre action (you being the true America-loving patriot and all---lol).

So, I leave you, once AGAIN, with asking you to name ONE lie I've told----just one. This is really getting old asking you this so unless you name ONE lie in your next response--I will not continue this childish game with you.

Besides, even if the burden of proof was on ME-----you haven't given ONE example of what I would have to defend for the burden of proof to be ON me. I realize you are unable to comprehend alot of what I said in this post--so let me make it REAL easy for you. I will give you two questions (out of 150 I could list) that were not asked during the 9-11 commission investigation. I'd love an answer from you on both.

1) Why was there no mention of the fact that Saeed Sheilkh (the man who wired lead hijacker Mohamed Atta 100,000 dollars) was an ISI agent (the ISI is the Pakistan CIA) and why the head of the ISI (General Mahmoud Ahmad) was in Washington DC meeting with OUR CIA director George Tenet on the days before and ON 9-11?

2) Why the FAA did not IMMEDIATELY know a hijacking had occured on all 4 planes when all the pilot has to do to alert ground control of a hijacking is punch in a 4-digit code?

I will interpret you not answering these questions as you not having an answer. Remember, those with the power to be complicit in these acts also have the power to cover it up. Dont forget about naming one lie Ive told!